Monday, May 09, 2005

T.K Lawless NORBA event

The course was longer this year, which added a few more leg burner hills from what I remember that last time I raced there. My first SS race and what fun it was! I think that was the most exciting part of the day! Well except for Crispy catching and passing me oh, and my great words of encouragement for him! I think they were “Damn it Chris!” But in TT race and you caught terms, it actually meant, great job and keep-it-up!
I pre-rode the course and it was very slick in a lot of corners, but by the time I started the course was starting to dry-out, which made it a little faster. While at the start Chris was part of the next group behind me, I pointed to the gears that the guy next to me was starting in and then pointed to mine. Crispy smiled and said “yeah”! I turned around to the front and noticed I forgot to put a water bottle in the cage, then 3 seconds later the guy said GO! All I could think about was the half-bottle I drank when I pre-rode and the other half I drank before the race. I wasn’t happy! After about 6 miles or so I started to forget about the bottle since I didn’t have a choice anymore. But how hard it is to eat a GU when you don’t have anything to chase it with!
About 40mins after I finished my geared race I started single speed. I was very nervous! I felt like I was at Brighton waiting to start at my first MTB race. All I wanted to do was make up all the hills and finish, which I though was a good goal for my first single speed race and second time riding a SS. The race went very good! I finished and behind 2 very respectable single speeders, made up all the hills and even passed a few people on the longer hills! I though I was done hitting my shoulders on trees, but the wide handlebars and trying to keep speed in the corners helped to change that! But it was fun and I plan on race in the SS class more often. By the way, thanks Pete for letting me borrow that bike! I guess I can say you helped Kona sell another SS! I’m going to put my order in today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home