Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Mt. Mitchell

So Jim, Jon and I attempted to ride to the top of Mt. Mitchell today. We drove to a location that looked good for parking. Busted out the road bikes and began our ascet. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful ride this time of year. We had sunny skies with a cool breeze and about 70+ degrees. The Parkway runs along the side of the mountains out here allowing for all kinds of views of the landscape and there are great tunnels to ride though. Some are so long that you loose almost all light. That is a bit creepy. So after ascending about 3000 ft. or so we saw a sign that said Mt. Pisgah. Now I didn't want to say anything while we were climbing but I could have sworn that the mountain was on the left side last year when I attempted to do this climb. Then I hit a spot I know we didn't come across the last year. The Mt. Pisgah resort. I head into the shop and ask where I might find Mt. Mitchell. The nice man behind the counter points in the direction I just came from and says about 65 miles that way. Doh! Well not much we can do about that. So we rode up the wrong mountain. We still got a good ride in with a summet of 5721 ft. (Mt. Mitchell is only 6681). We could have easily made the climb but not with the time we had left. Supposedly there is a storm so bad headed our way that it's been on CNN. Well see how well that pans out tonight and tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home