Monday, June 13, 2005

Whiskey Creek Stage Race

So when it's in the 80-90 degree range is it bad when you get chills? That's how dehydrated I was by the end of the XC race on Sunday after 2 days of racing. The Saturday morning TT was pretty tightly stacked and that set me up for a nice headache that would beat with my pulse. While waiting for the Short Track race to start I sat in on Terry's seminar on nutrition and such. All stuff he's already spoke to me before about in a longer clinic but I had nothing better to do and it was at least in the shade. Getting ready for the Short Track I noticed a funny behavior among the cyclist there. All of there were spread out around the staging areas hudled together in any shade that the few trees there would cast. Now the Short Track was pretty good stuff. Especially the drop coming off the hill. Really this was the only part keeping me going back around and up the hill. It was really that fun and that hot. It was so hot in fact that I did the unthinkable and wore a camel back the next day in the XC race. Which I'm happy to say was a saving grace for me. Heading out on the 3rd lap I was trailing a line of 2 other riders. Neither seemed to be pushing that much so I decided to take lead as I seemed to be feeling ok. As soon as I do that John Card makes the comment "It's pretty early in the game to be pulling something like that". All I can think now is that I better make this stick or I'm going to look like a total douche. Well later in the 3rd lap poor John lost his only bottle. Talking to him later he said he was almost going to ask for mine, and was eyeing up some of the ones that were laying on the ground. Luckly for me I was able to hold that pace and managed to finish well enough to bump me up a place in the over all stage standings. Really it was an absolute great weekend even though I had to hang with a different team (the very lovely ladies from Dark Horse Racing)all weekend as until late Saturday night I was out there by myself. These ladies were great too they let me camp on thier site and even fed me dinner. A big thank you again to Susan, Melissa, and Casey for everything.

-Justin-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home