Monday, May 08, 2006

Mechanicals Stink!!!

First off, I'd like give a big congrats to the entire team that came out and put in great race efforts this past weekend at the Fort. Way to go Justin with a strong 2nd place finish. It was fun racing with you up to the point where my drivetrain took a crap on me.

We were treated to some pretty awesome weather and a strong field this past Sunday for the first big Michigan XC of the season. I was super motivated and excited to finally get out and notch my first MTB race for the year. My plans for the season were slightly derailed by a shoulder injury sustained in March. But with the training and coaching help of Terry Ritter and Full Potential Training Services, I was feeling super ready and good to go.

The start was crazy fast. Mike Simonster dictated a blistering pace from the get-go that shattered the field within the first couple of miles. Everyone was chasing hard to hold on. The first chase group got splintered in Granny's Garden. Simonster and Scott Q of Bells got a gap with a group of four of us hot on their heels. The first to fall off the group was Nate Versluis of Founders Ales with a torn rear tire mechanical. It was unfortunate as he was riding really strong and our little group was working very well together. That left Justin, John Meyers of Bells, and myself chasing. The three of us continued to work and trade pulls through the long course trying to bring the leaders back in sight. About midway through the third lap some bad luck dealt a premature end to my efforts. Through the Amusement Park section of the course, as I was sitting third wheel behind Justin and John, a branch was kicked up by my front tire right into my derailleur cage. Snap, crackle, pop - uhhh not good sounds! Result = mangled, locked up drivetrain that I was not able to fix with the tools on me at the time. Ugh!

Sometimes you're just unlucky and that's part of racing. Justin and John were able to reel in Q and finished on the box. Knowing that you have the legs, are in podium contention and having your race end prematurely due to a random mechanical leaves a bit of a sour taste in your mouth. But there's a lot of racing left in the season. I'm happy with my form and I'll be there. Next goal - get a race finish under the belt ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Crispy said...

tough break Pete. You will get them next time!!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home