Tuesday, March 14, 2006

3 years in the making

I was a bit too tired to talk about this yesterday but I and the rest of the guys climbed Mt. Mitchell. This was my 3rd attempt as the first year it was snowed out. Last year we just climbed the wrong mountain. This year I got it right. I don't know if that was necessarily a good thing but we did. Everyone was climbing really well including Terry "I only broke my neck in 2 places" Ritter. It was funny to see the looks he was getting from other cyclists as they took a glance and then did a double take at the neck brace he was wearing. Starting out in downtown Asheville it was about 78 degrees. By the time we reached the top we had to put on every piece of clothing we brought with us. We spent about 5 minutes enjoying the view and then decided to get the hell off that mountain. Temp was dropping and a storm was moving in so we started our decent. Managed to top out at 46.7 mph and it was pretty smooth descending all the way down. We were slowed down at the end by a silly Honda Element but give how steep and twisty it gets near the end it's probably a good thing. More to come.

-Justin

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Mitchell said...

Glad you finally made it Justin!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Eric Malzahn said...

Justin,
Good job on Mt. Mitchell. Tell Terry I said hi. Judging by your writing, it seems like he is still in one piece. The question is: does he descend faster than me even with a neck brace? :^)

Have fun!
Eric

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home