Monday, August 22, 2005

Snowshoe Short Track

Well after scratching out of the Super Dee event I can't say I was feeling tip-top. However I wasn't feeling too bad when Pete and I were pre-ride laps on the ST course. While staging I ran into the guy who passed me with 3 inches to go in the XC race and he was apologizing for being devious. Hey that's racing so what can you do. However I was now on a mission to NOT let this guy beat me and to not get pulled. Right from the get go I moved into last and secured that position almost all through the fist lap. Then Pete and I slowly started moving though the group. Knowing that I would get pulled if I hung back too far I was really working to keep moving up on the group. Surprisingly (for a Michigan boy) my strenghth in this race was during the climbs. Both coming up though the grassy infield area where I would usually gain a place or 2 and during the longer paved climb that would take you through the Start/Finish area. Pete hung on for 16 minutes before getting pulled as his legs were at war with will. Soon it was coming down to the final 3 and I could hear Pete yelling out my position. I passed one more rider to move into 5th position. Coming down the back stretch I hit the lockout for my fork and took the last turn, that one of the Cannondale riders had just dumped, as smoothly as I could. The second my rear tire hit pavement I dropped the hammer and sprinted all the way up the final stretch to get between 2 of the Cannondale riders and claim 4th place. Getting a podium at my first NORBA definatly made the trip worth while and I hope I can do a repeat next week out at MT. Snow. However I think I'll leave the Super Dee event to the big boys ;).

-Justin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home