Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Worked over at Sugar

Wao! I got my butt handed to me at Sugar Mtn. Not quite the result I was hoping for (by a long shot). Maybe Mt. Snow will give me something more favorable next weekend.
Simonster and I arrived thursday afternoon to a rainstorm deluge just as we were heading out for our pre-ride. Sweet! Note the sarcasm. The course was a 6mile and change loop, with about 3/4 of that climbing and then a pretty rocky, rooty, technical descent down the mountain. This ain't Michigan. That rainstorm made it pretty tenuous for the pre-ride but the sun graced us with its presence the rest of the weekend and dried things out fairly nicely for all the races. Our XC race was slated for Friday afternoon. Everything started out well. Mike hit it hard and worked his way into the lead only to get derailled by a flat tire midway up the mountain. I was hanging out sitting pretty good at the tail end of the lead group in ear shot of the lead moto. Things slowly came undone for me after that first lap though. Second time through I stacked it nicely on the downhill and had to shake the cobwebs out. The 3rd and 4th lap were cramp/muscle spasm city for me. I don't know what that was about as I hardly ever cramp but it made for a slow painful go as I was struggling to turn the cranks over. Mike was charging through the field until a second mechanical slowed him again.
Sunday, Mike and I decided to have a go at the short track. I was feeling really flat going into it from the effort on Friday. I was still a bit sore from the crash and just didn't feel it. Mike on the other hand was hungry as hell and felt great. The gun went off and Mike again shot to the front and immediately gapped the field. The Simonster was charging. I, on the other hand, started conservatively and got stuck behind a bottleneck choke point and was immediately chasing from the start. Bad luck came again as the Simonster blew out his tire on the 4th lap holding a sizeable lead. I was slowly making my way through the field but it was too little too late. That start hosed me really bad and I was never able to bring it back. I'm looking for a little pay-back at Mt. Snow next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home