Monday, August 29, 2005

Mt. Snow

Justin and I got back late last night after a marathon session in the car. Whew, that's one long drive! Next year, I'm taking Monday off and going to break that drive up. Once again, Mt. Snow did not disappoint. There was a good turnout and the weather was fantastic as long as you raced on friday or saturday. For those who raced on Sunday, I'll let them recount their tales. There was some definite carnage, mostly the mechanical kind, but the course can become unforgiving in the wet. Luckily Justin and I raced on Friday in the semi-pro XC to nice warm blue sunny skies and fast dry trail. Justin once again rode a really solid race showing great form the last couple of weeks to wind up with a strong 12th place in a good sized field. I started out feeling great and then snap! I started floundering as the race wore on. My last lap had me moving backwards fast as my back and legs were not too happy with what I was demanding of them. Signals to those muscles were getting vetoed. I ended up 25th which was actually better than I thought considering I was feeling like I was riding backwards. I also had a nice little scare on one of my mentally ineffective later laps as my hand flew off my handlebar on one of the many fast gnarly downhill sections. I am counting my blessings at how I managed to keep it together and not become hamburger roadkill on the course. That one would have hurt, alot. Anyone wondering about going to a national event should definitely head out to Mt. Snow for a great (but difficult) course and some good ole racing. Also, Kona Midwest was more than happy to lend out our floor pumps and Stans all weekend long to our condo next door neighbors consisting of the 3D Racing team out of Boulder. Looks like their tires stayed happy and inflated as they made their way around the course chasing a possessed Geoff Kabush who killed it in just over 2 hours with a fast charging Roland Green(Kona-Les Gets) on his heels.

Now I rest my legs and contemplate how I'm going to drop 30 minutes next year...
Pete

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home